Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Jack's less hectic 24 hours.

It’s going off the air soon, but I’m watching the first season of “24”. I know that it is just to keep the story along, but still, can the FBI really find the security code to any electronic lock in the city within a minute? Didn’t think so. It takes me almost a minute to remember my own password at work.

I’m waiting for the next season of “24” in which Jack Bauer is late to the dentist because of a 45 minute traffic jam on the freeway. See Jack tap on the steering wheel while listening to the radio. See Jack’s wife cleaning up the breakfast dishes. See Jack’s office slacking off because Jack isn’t there. See Jack make a cell phone call. The dramatic music begins. “Tell Dr. Schwartz that I’m running late. Yeah, traffic. Can we reschedule for 11:30?” Cut to a commercial. When we return, the clerk says “Yeah, uh, come in whenever.” Crisis resolved. Jack’s wife chucks some scrambled eggs in to the trash, but a little piece misses and lands on the floor. Jack’s wife doesn’t notice! Oh, now she’s stepped in it! That’s got her attention. Out come the paper towels! Jack’s co-workers discuss lunch. “I dunno. Where do you wanna go?”
“I dunno. Where do YOU wanna go?”
Jack’s daughter sits in class and disinterestedly stares. Back to the office:
“No, not that Thai place again! Their chicken wan pen tastes like stale cho lo-pein.” Jack’s car moves up another two spots.
“I can’t eat Mexican. Burritos always give me the sh- “ Jack’s wife has successfully completed the clean up in its entirety, and is now replacing the mop and cleaning solution to their respectful places in the closet.
Back at Jack’s counter-terrorism unit: “Is Jack going to be back this morning? He’s got to approve time sheets. Does anybody know?”
“We can crack encryption in seconds, but I have no idea when Jack is expected back in.”
“Should we call him?”
“He might have the dentist’s thing in his mouth and can’t talk.”
“His ‘thing’?”
“Instruments or drills or whatever. Take your mind out of the gutter.”
Jack is now singing to “Welcome to the Jungle” on radio.
Commercial break.
“You should really call Jack.”
“No, you.”
“I’ll just wait. He can’t sign anything over the phone anyway.”
Jack's daughter heads for the rest room at school. She suspiciously looks over her shoulder... and pulls out... a comic book!
Back to the office!
“How about McDonald’s or Burger King?”
“I’m on a diet.”
“Subway?”
“No, South Beach.”
“I meant… forget it.”
Roll credits.

Riveting!

Actually, “24” is a pretty good show, as far as the TV action genre is concerned. I’m willing to suspend more disbelief for a well written show than one that doesn’t make good on promises or lives on stilted dialogue.

No comments:

Post a Comment