Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Recycling hackneyed quips - but that's most of what's in this blog

I recently heard that old blather about how if men got pregnant, there would be free daycare and 12 weeks paid paternity leave. Yeah, well, men are supposedly in charge and you don’t get so much as one paid afternoon off if your alma mater makes it in to the Final Four. So, there goes the myth of male dominance in society.
+++++++++++++++++++++

I wish I received some monetary benefit from recycling. Supposedly, the recycle center makes a profit, which translates into a reduction in taxes. But my taxes are reduced as much as taxes for the jerkoff who doesn’t recycle. My county doesn’t recycle, they expect you to collect your stuff and drive it to their center, open only until 5pm. Some rare people, like me, do. Most don’t. That’s out of the way and a lot of effort for no discernable gain. As a result, paper, plastic bags, aluminum cans, all of that goes into the solid waste. I only do it because I just couldn’t stand living like a lazy chub in East Chuckaf+ck, KY.

I don’t have white guilt about the black condition. I don’t have male guilt about the female condition. But I do have some guilt about global warming, since it is something that I have contributed to, continue to contribute to and it is something where I can take action to reduce my effects on the environment if not eliminate them.

On that carbon footprint thing, those people who have laid claim to the Holy “carbon neutral” Grail usually do so through heavy use of the nebulous world of carbon offsets.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Mitch McConnell is at it again. He’s bravely defending those poor, helpless campaign finance rules from reform of any kind. The “liberal attack machine” has forced poor Mitch to stoop to using the parliamentary rules as a weapon in support of his heroic crusade. He’s holding up confirmation hearings for four proposed members of the campaign finance committee. He insists that all four should be voted in as one block, and not on their individual merits. Confirming all four as if they were one person is inherently un-American, for it denies individuality. If a college coach wants to recruit a star high school player, he doesn’t have to give the star’s three flunky friends free scholarships as well. Confirmation as a block is a thinly veiled attempt to sneak in some stooges that would have no chance at being confirmed on their own.

LP Record players, dead. Phone booths gone. Good ‘ol boy politics – still alive and kicking down in the hollers of KY.

Oh, and “liberal attack machine” is a quote from a McConnell mailing that asked for money. The term appeared somewhere in the first line. When I hit that term, I chucked it unceremoniously in to the recycle bin, or I’d be regaling you with its other memorable quotes of unbridled ignorance.

No comments:

Post a Comment