Sunday, March 21, 2010

A day in the life

My best video “customers” are my wife’s mother and grandmother. They tell me all about how great the videos are, which ultimately make me lazy. When I watch the videos, all I see are the glitches and things that I wish I had the time to fix. One day, I plan to put together a really great 20 minutes, instead of rushing to get through it. I once had this crazy notion that I’d get caught up, you see.
_______________________________
The hardest parts of my training program are the parts that have nothing to do with beating my feet on the street. Waking up early and not drinking at night are the biggest deals to me. Almost everyone that I talk to about the drinking thing says that it would be ok if I had some, but no one that I’ve spoken to is an athlete, amateur athlete, trainer or sports therapist. I hate having to forego my beer when I sit down at night. But there are benefits, of course. When I’m not drinking, my runs are a lot less difficult. Going faster and farther is a lot easier. Making it through the work day is a lot less tiring, too. Seems like not too long ago, I’d get up after 7, eat breakfast and still hit work by 8. Now I’m up at 4:00, work out, eat breakfast, get kids ready and I get in at 7:00. If you’d told me that’s how grinding my life would be, including most weekend days, I’d have said *Shoot me now.*

Craving alcohol makes me sound like an alcoholic, but I don’t see it as any more indicative of addiction than a dieter desiring cheesecake.

The worst thing you can do for training is to try too hard and get injured. The second worst thing you can do is to not try hard enough and be unprepared. So it is between this Scylla and Charybdis that the entire training spectrum exists.

1 comment:

  1. I might have a beer the night before a long run, but no more. I definitely cut back when I'm training for a marathon.

    ReplyDelete