Sunday, April 11, 2010

Help the government - don't pay taxes.

I’m puzzled on Grover Norquist’s suggestion that cutting taxes will result in smaller government, yet every other Republican says cutting taxes will increase government revenue, thus expanding government. Using that logic, I am in favor of smaller government, and towards that end, I favor higher tax rates, which will shrink total revenue.

If tax cuts always always always produce more revenue for the government, I have a plan. First, elect me president for two terms. I’ll cut down taxes like virgin rainforest. This will stimulate the economy and generate more tax revenue. Then more tax cuts, which will then produce even more revenue, which will result in yet more tax cuts, yielding even greater revenue. How can we possibly turn off this colossal spigot of tax money? We can’t give this stuff away fast enough folks! We’ll be drowning in it!

On the other hand, the liberal version of economics is “Tax the rich, feed the poor till there are no rich no more.” That’s great, but when there are no more rich folks, you’re left with a nation of poor folks, who are starving again.

No comments:

Post a Comment