Friday, April 2, 2010

Running in a cold hell

I’ve heard a lot about how Avatar is now the highest grossing film of all time, and then a lot about how it isn’t the highest grossing film because it simply charges more for tickets. Taking inflation into account, Gone With The Wind is the highest. Avatar is 26th. But “Gone” was re-released five more times. So, you’d also have to take in to account the money made from TV, cable or DVD. Hattie McDaniel gave a great performance, but let’s face it, no one bought a plastic action figure of that sassy maid. There is no “Ten Commandments” video game. But yeah, The Sound of Music soundtrack is sure to be far more profitable than Avatar’s.

You can make a lukewarm movie like Ice Age and not do very well at the box. If you count DVDs, toys and the potential for increasingly suckier sequels and it’s a winner.
________________________________

I went to a snow-tubing place last winter. They have this moving sidewalk taking a hundred people 200 feet up an incline, but I can’t keep a treadmill working.

I don’t know if I hate the dark or the cold more, and I don’t know if it matters. I lack a bathroom. But at 4:30am, it’s not too hard to find some privacy. I could pee in the middle of the road if I wanted.

Outdoor runs make my toenails go black. From 2 months of reduced schedule due to injury, I was down to only one blackie (although he has told me that he prefers the term “toenail of color”). Now the damaged nails are in the filibuster-proof majority.

Running outside is like visiting hell, except that it’s really cold, and afterwards I have to get the kids dressed and get myself to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment